The WPA Dallas Guide and History Page: 327
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Crutcher-For C. F. Crutcher, city secretary of town of East Dallas, later Dallas alderman
Davis-For A. E. Davis, developer of an addition in 1890.
Dickason-For Colonel M. L. Dickason, landowner.
Duncan-For S. W. S. Duncan, early-day engineer.
Eakins-For John J. Eakins, developer of an addition in 1878.
Elm-For grove of elm trees near Trinity River.
Ervay-For Henry S. Ervay, mayor in 1870-72. (First named Johnson for Negro carpet-
bagger; renamed to honor Ervay after released from jail during Reconstruction.)
Ewing Ave.-For H. F. Ewing, first mayor of Oak Cliff, 1891.
Exposition Ave.-Original street leading into State Fair grounds.
Field-For Tom W. Field, capitalist, landowner, builder.
Fitzhugh Ave.-For L. H. Fitzhugh, early settler and landowner.
Forney Ave.-Forney Pike-For John W. Forney, Philadelphia newspaperman; publicity
agent for Texas & Pacific Railroad in 1872-73.
Forest-Believed to have been named originally for the Confederate General Nathan B.
Forrest. Present spelling, adopted some time during the 1880s, suggested by the trees
which lined the street.
Gano-For General R. M. Gano, rancher, physician, and noted Confederate soldier.
Garrett Ave.-For Bishop Alexander C. Garrett of the Episcopal diocese of Dallas.
Gaston Ave.-For Captain W. H. Gaston, early-day banker and developer. Originally Wal-
lace Street, for Wallace W. Peak.
Gillespie-For Dr. John P. Gillespie, physician and landowner.
Good-For John J. Good, lawyer, landowner, mayor, 1880-81.
Gould-For Jay Gould, financier, builder Texas & Pacific Railroad.
Grand Ave.-Believed to have been so named because it long was used as concourse for
informal horse racing.
Greenville Ave.-Original highway from Dallas to Greenville.
Grigsby-For C. Grigsby, early real estate developer.
Guillot-For pioneer family founded by Maxime Guillot, 1849.
Hall-For Peter Hall, early settler and landowner.
Harwood-For Alexander Harwood, county clerk, 1850-51, 1875-83.
Haskell Ave.-For Horatio Nelson Haskell, alderman of East Dallas in 1883.
Hawkins-For J. A. Hawkins, secretary, Dallas & Wichita Railroad, 1872.
Henry-For J. L. Henry, first mayor of East Dallas, 1885.
Holland Ave.-For Colonel Frank P. Holland, mayor, 1895-97.
Holmes-For Edmond E. and Martha J. Holmes, 1888.
Houston-For General Sam Houston, hero of San Jacinto; first president of the Republic
Jackson-For U. S. President Andrew Jackson.
Jefferson Ave.-For U. S. President Thomas Jefferson.
Jordan-For William Jordan, realty developer.
Junius-For Junius Peak, landowner, Texas Ranger.
Keating Ave.-For C. A. Keating, pioneer farm implement dealer.
Knight-For G. A. (Dude) Knight, feed merchant.
Lagow-For Richard Lagow, early owner of 4,444 acres in the area.
Lamar-For Mirabeau B. Lamar, second president of the Republic of Texas.
Lancaster Ave.--Original road to Lancaster, Texas.
Lane-For John W. Lane, mayor, 1862-66.
Latimer--For J. W. Latimer, founder of the Dallas Herald in 1849.
Ledbetter Dr.-For W. H. (Uncle Peahull) Ledbetter, county commissioner, in 1932.
Lemmon Ave.-For W. H. Lemmon, realty developer.
Leonard-For J. L. Leonard, alderman, 1874.
Lewis-For Henry Lewis, sheriff, 1888-92.
Here’s what’s next.
This book can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Book.
Writers' Program of the Work Projects Administration in the City of Dallas. The WPA Dallas Guide and History, book, 1992; Dallas, Texas. (digital.library.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metadc28336/m1/351/: accessed October 19, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, Digital Library, digital.library.unt.edu; crediting UNT Press.