Classification of Denial in Sex Offenders; an Investigation of Response Styles Metadata
Metadata describes a digital item, providing (if known) such information as creator, publisher, contents, size, relationship to other resources, and more. Metadata may also contain "preservation" components that help us to maintain the integrity of digital files over time.
- Main Title Classification of Denial in Sex Offenders; an Investigation of Response Styles
Author: Cruise, Keith R.Creator Type: Personal
Chair: Sewell, Kenneth W.Contributor Type: PersonalContributor Info: Major Professor
Committee Member: Rogers, Richard, 1950-Contributor Type: Personal
Committee Member: Clarke, Jeffrey M.Contributor Type: Personal
Name: University of North TexasPlace of Publication: Denton, Texas
- Creation: 1998-05
- Content Description: Standard psychological assessment instruments have not produced consistent results by which decisions can be made regarding the appropriate placement and legal disposition of an individual who has committed a sexual offense. The purpose of the present study was to systematically investigate deception and dissimulation as measured by three assessment instruments commonly utilized with sex offenders. A denial classification system was utilized in order to classify offenders into categories based on their level of admission to the legal system. The four group classification system did not produce significant differences on all measures of deception and dissimulation. Contrary to previous research, admitters were found to respond more defensively than deniers on one of the assessment instruments. In addition, partial deniers were identified as responding significantly differently from both admitters and deniers on a separate instrument. The differences found suggest that sex offenders' level of deception is multifaceted. Difficulties in identifying classificatory strategies and implications for theoretical conceptions of denial within this population are discussed.
- Physical Description: vi, 122 leaves
- Keyword: sex offenders
- Keyword: deception
- Library of Congress Subject Headings: Sex offenders -- Psychology.
- Library of Congress Subject Headings: Denial (Psychology)
Name: UNT Theses and DissertationsCode: UNTETD
Name: UNT LibrariesCode: UNT
- Rights Access: public
- Rights License: copyright
- Rights Statement: Copyright is held by the author, unless otherwise noted. All rights reserved.
- Rights Holder: Cruise, Keith R.
- Thesis or Dissertation
- Call Number: 379 N81 no.7478
- UNT Catalog No.: b2094604
- Accession or Local Control No: 1002660154-cruise
- Archival Resource Key: ark:/67531/metadc278274
- Degree Level: Master's
- Degree Grantor: University of North Texas
- Degree Name: Master of Science
- Academic Department: Department of Psychology
- Degree Discipline: Psychology