The Historical Development of the University of Texas of the Permian Basin, Odessa, Texas Metadata
Metadata describes a digital item, providing (if known) such information as creator, publisher, contents, size, relationship to other resources, and more. Metadata may also contain "preservation" components that help us to maintain the integrity of digital files over time.
- Main Title The Historical Development of the University of Texas of the Permian Basin, Odessa, Texas
Author: Kern, Stephanie P.Creator Type: Personal
Chair: Miller, William A.Contributor Type: PersonalContributor Info: Major Professor
Committee Member: Norris, Cathleen A.Contributor Type: PersonalContributor Info: Minor Professor
Committee Member: Davis, Todd M.Contributor Type: Personal
Committee Member: Stephens, A. RayContributor Type: Personal
Name: University of North TexasPlace of Publication: Denton, Texas
- Creation: 1994-08
- Content Description: The University of Texas of the Permian Basin (UTPB) is a public university that serves over 4,500 undergraduate and graduate students as a branch of the University of Texas system located in Odessa, Ector County, Texas. The UTPB was established as an upper-division and graduate school on February 4, 1969, and first opened its doors to students in September, 1973. This historical study focuses on the development and progress of the UTPB from its inception until it was elevated from an upper-level institution to a four-year university twenty-two years later. The formation, mission, and curriculum are examined as well as are faculty and student characteristics and support. This study addresses the background history of higher education in the region, the role of community and college leaders in the UTPB's creation and struggle for four-year status, and the UTPB's unique features. The study was conducted by collecting data from available primary and secondary sources. The written data were then subjected to both external and internal criticism to determine the authorship and meaning of the documents. To explain events and put the written documents in context, oral histories, given by participants, were used. The educational opportunities offered by the UTPB have enriched the lives of Ector County citizens as well as the lives of many students from surrounding counties in the region of Texas known as the Permian Basin. Additional research topics related to the UTPB as well as other educational institutions are suggested.
- Physical Description: vii, 210 leaves
- Keyword: University of Texas of the Permian Basin
- Keyword: higher education
- Keyword: universities
- Library of Congress Subject Headings: University of Texas of the Permian Basin -- History.
- Place Name: United States - Texas - Ector County - Odessa
Name: UNT Theses and DissertationsCode: UNTETD
Name: UNT LibrariesCode: UNT
- Rights Access: public
- Rights License: copyright
- Rights Statement: Copyright is held by the author, unless otherwise noted. All rights reserved.
- Rights Holder: Kern, Stephanie P.
- Thesis or Dissertation
- Call Number: 379 N81d no.3970
- UNT Catalog No.: b1806341
- Accession or Local Control No: 1002721419-kern
- Archival Resource Key: ark:/67531/metadc277748
- Degree Level: Doctoral
- Degree Grantor: University of North Texas
- Degree Name: Doctor of Philosophy
- Academic Department: Department of Counseling, Development, and Higher Education
- Degree Discipline: Higher Education