Influences of the Mother-Daughter Relationship on Motivations for Sexual Behavior Metadata
Metadata describes a digital item, providing (if known) such information as creator, publisher, contents, size, relationship to other resources, and more. Metadata may also contain "preservation" components that help us to maintain the integrity of digital files over time.
- Main Title Influences of the Mother-Daughter Relationship on Motivations for Sexual Behavior
Author: Barrett, SusanCreator Type: Personal
Chair: Campbell, VickiContributor Type: PersonalContributor Info: Major Professor
Committee Member: Schneider, LawrenceContributor Type: Personal
Committee Member: Lane, TimothyContributor Type: Personal
Name: University of North TexasPlace of Publication: Denton, Texas
- Creation: 2001-05
- Digitized: 2007-07-12
- Content Description: The influences of family relationship variables on motivations for adolescent sexual risk-taking were investigated. Previous research has linked these variables to adolescent sexual behavior, however, the nature of these links has not been specifically examined. Family variables were operationalized as child attachment to mother, parental support of each other, parental conflict strategies, and parental monitoring. Emotional motivations were operationalized as attachment and affiliation needs. The sample consisted of 40 single females ages 18 to22 recruited from a local pregnancy care center. Predictions that parent-child relationship and parental influence would predict emotional motivations for sexual risk-taking were not supported. The variable most highly related to sexual risk-taking, though not included in the model tested, was father's destructive conflict strategies. Theoretical and methodological issues are discussed.
- Library of Congress Subject Headings: Young women -- Sexual behavior -- Psychological aspects.
- Library of Congress Subject Headings: Mothers and daughters.
- Library of Congress Subject Headings: Parent and child.
- Library of Congress Subject Headings: Risk-taking (Psychology)
- Keyword: Family relationships
- Keyword: Sexual risk taking
Name: UNT Theses and DissertationsCode: UNTETD
Name: UNT LibrariesCode: UNT
- Rights Access: unt
- Rights License: copyright
- Rights Holder: Barrett, Susan
- Rights Statement: Copyright is held by the author, unless otherwise noted. All rights reserved.
- Thesis or Dissertation
- OCLC: 48003469
- Archival Resource Key: ark:/67531/metadc2767
- Degree Name: Master of Science
- Degree Level: Doctoral
- Degree Discipline: Counseling Psychology
- Academic Department: Department of Psychology
- Degree Grantor: University of North Texas