On Objects and Affections: Contemporary Representations of the Gay Man/Straight Woman Dyad in Popular Film and Television Metadata
Metadata describes a digital item, providing (if known) such information as creator, publisher, contents, size, relationship to other resources, and more. Metadata may also contain "preservation" components that help us to maintain the integrity of digital files over time.
- Main Title On Objects and Affections: Contemporary Representations of the Gay Man/Straight Woman Dyad in Popular Film and Television
Author: Pillion, Owen L.Creator Type: Personal
Chair: Negra, DianeContributor Type: PersonalContributor Info: Major Professor
Committee Member: Benshoff, HarryContributor Type: Personal
Committee Member: Hoerschelmann, OlafContributor Type: Personal
Name: University of North TexasPlace of Publication: Denton, Texas
- Creation: 2000-12
- Content Description: This project explores the representational strategies used to depict a gay male/straight female dyad across a variety of popular media. The study problematizes and critically evaluates how the narrativization of the dyad both challenges and reinforces stereotypes of gay men and at the same time circulates a troubling image of femininity in the figure of the straight woman. This line of argument is extended to the context of "Lifestyle Television" to demonstrate how the dyad implicitly structures two particular programs. It is suggested that the prevalence of the dyad is in part indicative of an assimilation of a particular gay identity into mainstream culture. The ideological implications of the dyad are discussed throughout this thesis.
- Library of Congress Subject Headings: Gay men in mass media.
- Library of Congress Subject Headings: Gay men -- Relations with heterosexual women.
- Library of Congress Subject Headings: Homosexuality in motion pictures.
- Library of Congress Subject Headings: Homosexuality on television.
- Keyword: queer theory
- Keyword: popular culture
- Keyword: homosexuality
- Keyword: film
- Keyword: television
- Keyword: stereptypes
- Keyword: representation
Name: UNT Theses and DissertationsCode: UNTETD
Name: UNT LibrariesCode: UNT
- Rights Access: public
- Rights License: copyright
- Rights Holder: Pillion, Owen L.
- Rights Statement: Copyright is held by the author, unless otherwise noted. All rights reserved.
- Thesis or Dissertation
- OCLC: 47770964
- Archival Resource Key: ark:/67531/metadc2706
- Degree Name: Master of Arts
- Degree Level: Master's
- Degree Discipline: Radio, Television and Film
- Academic Department: Department of Radio, Television and Film
- Degree Grantor: University of North Texas