Beggar's opera Metadata
Metadata describes a digital item, providing (if known) such information as creator, publisher, contents, size, relationship to other resources, and more. Metadata may also contain "preservation" components that help us to maintain the integrity of digital files over time.
- Main Title Beggar's opera
Composer: Pepusch, John Christopher, 1667-1752Creator Type: Personal
Librettist: Gay, John, 1685-1732Creator Type: Personal
Name: John WattsPlace of Publication: London, EnglandAdditional Info: Publication note on the t.p.: "Printed for John Watts at the printing office in Wild-Court near Lincoln's-Inn Field."
- Creation: 1735
- Content Description: This is a 1735 fourth ed. of the three-act ballad opera "The beggar's opera" by John Christopher Pepusch and John Gay. It includes the score for the overture (for violins (2), viola, and bass ensemble) and the melodies of each song. The inscription, "Nos haec novimus esse nihil" (transl. as, We know these to be nothing) that appears on the t.p. is an epigram by Marcus Valerius Martialis from his Books of Epigrams. On the back of the t.p. appears the advertisement of these works printed by John Watts: Fifty one new fables in verse; The tunes to the songs in the Beggar's Opera, transposed for the flute; and Gay's opera "Achilles." A table of songs shows the first lines of text for each act. The item includes a list of characters.
- Physical Description: 1 score (8 p.), 76 p. : music ; 20 cm.
- Library of Congress Subject Headings: Ballad operas -- Librettos.
- Library of Congress Subject Headings: Ballad operas.
- Item is a Primary Source
Name: Virtual Music Rare Book RoomCode: VRBR
Name: UNT Music LibraryCode: UNTML
- Musical Score/Notation
- OCLC: 9926858
- UNT Catalog No.: b1032598
- Call Number: ML50.5 B3 1735
- Archival Resource Key: ark:/67531/metadc25946
- Display Note: Full title as it appears on the t.p.: "The beggar's opera, as it is acted at the Theatre-Royal in Lincolns-Inn Fields." Fourth ed.
- Digital Preservation: creationAppName: Omniscan creationAppVersion: 11 creationHardware: Zeutschel OS 10000