Born Digital: Guidance for Donors, Dealers, and Archival Repositories Metadata
Metadata describes a digital item, providing (if known) such information as creator, publisher, contents, size, relationship to other resources, and more. Metadata may also contain "preservation" components that help us to maintain the integrity of digital files over time.
- Main Title Born Digital: Guidance for Donors, Dealers, and Archival Repositories
Author: Redwine, GabrielaCreator Type: Personal
Author: Barnard, MeganCreator Type: Personal
Author: Donovan, KateCreator Type: Personal
Author: Farr, ErikaCreator Type: Personal
Author: Forstrom, MichaelCreator Type: Personal
Author: Hansen, WillCreator Type: Personal
Author: John, Jeremy LeightonCreator Type: Personal
Author: Kuhl, NancyCreator Type: Personal
Author: Shaw, SethCreator Type: Personal
Author: Thomas, SusanCreator Type: Personal
Sponsor: Council on Library and Information ResourcesContributor Type: OrganizationContributor Info: Web: http://www.clir.org
Photographer: VectomartContributor Type: OrganizationContributor Info: vectomart/bigstockphoto.com
Name: Council on Library and Information ResourcesPlace of Publication: Washington, DCAdditional Info: Web: http://www.clir.org
- Creation: 2013-10
- Content Description: The report provides recommendations to help ensure the physical and intellectual well-being of materials created and managed in digital form ("born digital") that are transferred from donors to archival repositories. The report is presented in four sections, each of which provides an overview of a key area of concern: initial collection review, privacy and intellectual property, key stages in acquiring digital materials, and post-acquisition review by the repository. Each section concludes with two lists of recommendations: one for donors and dealers, and a second for repository staff. Appendixes provide more specific information about possible staffing activities, as well as a list of resources and ready-to-use checklists that incorporate recommendations from throughout the report. Ten archivists and curators from institutions in the United States and United Kingdom collaborated on the report.
- Physical Description: Viii, 28 p. : col. ill.
- Keyword: Privacy and intellectual property
- Library of Congress Subject Headings: Research libraries -- Collection development.
- Library of Congress Subject Headings: Digital libraries.
- Keyword: acquiring digital materials
- Keyword: digital resources
Name: General CollectionCode: UNTGC
Name: UNT LibrariesCode: UNT
- Rights Access: public
- Rights Holder: Council on Library and Information Resources
- Rights License: by-sa
- Rights Statement: Copyright © 2013 by Council on Library and Information Resources. This work is made available under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 license, http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/.
- ISBN: 978-1-932326-46-8
- URL: http://www.clir.org/pubs/reports/pub159
- Archival Resource Key: ark:/67531/metadc234935