Installation Summary - LETTERKENNY ARMY DEPOT Page: 1 of 2
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
LETTERKENNY ARMY DEPOT
Letterkenny Army Depot, located in the Cumberland Valley of south-central Pennsylvania, is
surrounded by Franklin County. The depot is 54 miles southwest of Harrisburg, PA and 32
miles northeast of Hagerstown, MD. The northwestern part of the installation is
mountainous - enveloped in the forests of the Appalachian foothills, which compose the
valley's slopes. The valley widens and flattens to rolling hills in the major portion of the
depot. The Borough of Chambersburg is 3.6 miles from the southern fence line. To the east,
south, and west, the installation is bordered by farmland. The north is bordered by forest.
Letterkenny is subject to all four seasons, and weather varies from hot, humid summers to
cold, snowy winters.
Square Footage of Buildings: 5,550,529 SF
Plant Replacement Value: $1,018,545,000
Due to its location to power, water, transportation hubs, and available workforce,
Letterkenny Army Depot was established in 1942 by the War Department to store and ship
ammunition, trucks, parts, and supplies. In 1946 the vehicle maintenance mission was added.
In 1953 Nike missile repair missions were added, followed shortly thereafter by Air Force
missile missions. Maintenance missions continued to diverse and grow with overhaul of
tanks, artillery, and tactical vehicles being added. Depot Systems Command, Headquartered
at the depot, named the installation the Center of Technical Excellence for PATRIOT, Short
Range Air Defense Systems (SHORAD), and PALADIN M109A6 Howitzer. Letterkenny
Army Depot developed the principal of Private-Public Partnering by establishing PALADIN
joint production on-site between the depot and United Defense. As missile missions began to
grow and missile technology improved, DoD in 1993, capitalized on the expertise of the
depot's missile programs by consolidating missile maintenance and establishing the DOD
Tactical Missile Maintenance Center at the installation. BRAC subsequently transferred the
artillery and combat vehicle missions and dissolved DESCOM. Letterkenny remains the
Army's Center of Industrial and Technical Excellence for (CITE) Air Defense and Tactical
Missile System Ground Support Equipment.
As CITE for Air Defense ard Tactical Missile System Ground Support Equipment, the
installation is home to PATRIOT maintenance as well as other missile systems such as
Avenger, TOW, MLRS AFCS, Hellfire, and Dragon. The Munitions Center is the home of
Here’s what’s next.
This letter can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Letter.
United States. Department of Defense. Installation Summary - LETTERKENNY ARMY DEPOT, letter, September 8, 2005; (digital.library.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metadc21495/m1/1/: accessed October 18, 2018), University of North Texas Libraries, Digital Library, digital.library.unt.edu; crediting UNT Libraries Government Documents Department.