Installation Summary - FORT BUCHANAN Page: 1 of 2
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Fort Buchanan is located six miles south of San Juan Bay, on the north coast of the island. It
lies within the densely urban San Juan metropolitan area, surrounded by the municipalities of
Guaynabo, Bayam6n, and Catafio. The property lies in the municipality of Guaynabo. Its
geography is flat, though surrounded by limestone ("Karst") hills, some of which have caves
containing archaeological artifacts. The area is also a wildlife refuge with protected species
like the Puerto Rican Boa.
Square Footage of Buildings: 2,156,673 SF
Plant Replacement Value: $641,412,169
Camp Buchanan was established in 1923, it was originally located on a 300 acre tract of
land some 6 miles south of San Juan Bay.
In 1940 it was designated Fort Buchanan and expanded to 1,514 acres then ultimately to
4,500 acres including an industrial complex, pier facilities, ammunition storage areas and
extensive railroad network connecting it to the bay. It served as a citizens training camp
and soldier processing station, the origin of our mobilization mission. Puerto Rican
soldiers were deployed for WW II and Korea right from our train station located where
our golf club now lies, to our own, rail-connected Army terminal by the bay.
After WW II the Post was gradually reduced to its current 746 acres. Buchanan continued
to be used as an Army facility until the deactivation of the Antilles Command December
31, 1966, when it came under Navy control.
In December 1971 it returned to Army control under Third US Army. At that time it also
became host to a number of tenant activities of the Reserve components, Navy, Coast
Guard, Air Force and some non-military federal agencies.
July 1, 1973 Fort Buchanan came under direct control of Forces Command.
Following the Department of Defense Unified Command Plan, Fort Buchanan came
under control of Southern Command, and on August 13, 1999 became the home of US
On October 1, 2002, the Garrison became part of the Installation Management Agency's
Southeastern region under Forces Command, within the Northern Command area of
Here’s what’s next.
This text can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Text.
United States. Department of Defense. Installation Summary - FORT BUCHANAN, text, September 8, 2005; (https://digital.library.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metadc21430/m1/1/: accessed March 21, 2019), University of North Texas Libraries, Digital Library, https://digital.library.unt.edu; crediting UNT Libraries Government Documents Department.