Executive Correspondence - Letter dtd 08/02/05 to Commissioners Gehman and Skinner from NM Senator Pete Domenici Page: 2 of 4
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Cannon Air Force Base Comprehensive Fact Sheet
The Defense Base Closure Realignment Act states that the Commission may make
changes in any of the recommendations if it determines that the Secretary of Defense
substantially deviated from the force structure plan and final criteria.
The DOD deviated substantially from the final BRAC criteria and Force Structure plan,
and Cannon Air Force Base should be removed from the Closure List.
BRAC Criteria incorrectly evaluated:
1. Military Value
2. Cost Savings
3. Economic Impact
Force Structure implications were not comprehensively considered.
Military Capability Index (MC:[) calculations and subsequent analyses led to inaccurate
conclusions attributable to flawed data. Selected examples include:
* Cannon has no operational, infrastructure, or urban encroachment and will
therefore be invaluable to the Department of Defense in the future. By having the
encroachment evaluation weighting grossly undervalued at 2.28%, this critical
measurement did not appropriately differentiate Air Forces bases that have severe
encroachment from those that have little or none.
* Proximity to air space supporting mission was incorrectly scored with respect to
multiple sub-elements within the question.
* Proximity to low-level routes was not properly scored. Cannon has several low-
level routes in close proximity to the base and was incorrectly penalized for
reporting legacy routes that have supported earlier missions.
* Range complex supporting the mission was incorrectly scored low. The Melrose
Range is an outstanding complex used by a wide variety of military users,
including the Army and the Navy, and it was evaluated as having the highest
utilization in the Air Clombat Command.
* Operational Hours were not accurately assessed; operational hours were recorded
as 12 hours; actual hours are 24/7. This error affected scoring in access to
airspace, supersonic air space, and range complexes.
* Buildable Acres: The number of buildable acres reported was only 3% of what
* Auxiliary airfield scores were incorrect. The assessment did not value the Cannon
crosswind runway or the Clovis Municipal Airport funded expansion plan for next
* Further requests for data calls have been sent to the BRAC Clearing House and we are currently waiting
Here’s what’s next.
This letter can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Letter.
Executive Correspondence - Letter dtd 08/02/05 to Commissioners Gehman and Skinner from NM Senator Pete Domenici, letter, August 12, 2005; (digital.library.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metadc20494/m1/2/: accessed September 25, 2018), University of North Texas Libraries, Digital Library, digital.library.unt.edu; crediting UNT Libraries Government Documents Department.