Devil to pay: or, The wives metamorphos'd Metadata
Metadata describes a digital item, providing (if known) such information as creator, publisher, contents, size, relationship to other resources, and more. Metadata may also contain "preservation" components that help us to maintain the integrity of digital files over time.
- Main Title Devil to pay: or, The wives metamorphos'd
- Alternate Title The wives metamorphos'd
- Uniform Title The devil to pay
- Added Title The Devil of a Wife
- Added Title The devil to pay: or, The wives metamorphos'd
Composer: Coffey, Charles, d. 1745Creator Type: Personal
Librettist: Mottley, John, 1692-1750Creator Type: Personal
Librettist: Jevon, Thomas, 1652-1688Creator Type: Personal
Name: J. WattsPlace of Publication: London
- Digitized: 2008-05
- Creation: 1732
- Content Description: English libretto to Charles Coffey's ballad opera The devil to pay or, The wives metamorphos'd. The Devil to Pay is an adaptation of Thomas Jevon’s play The Devil of a Wife (1686). Nearly fifty years later, the ballad opera appeared at Drury Lane with Charles Coffey and John Mottley each responsible for half of the three acts. However, a much shorter and more well-received one-act version, edited by Theophilus Cibber, is represented in the printed libretto. Today Coffey is generally the only name widely attached to The Devil to Pay. The opera’s popularity is attested by the frequent performances and a translation into German, which contributed to the development of the Singspiel.
- Physical Description: 31 p., 21 cm.
- Library of Congress Subject Headings: Ballad operas -- Librettos.
- Other: Ballad opera
- Item is a Primary Source
Name: Virtual Music Rare Book RoomCode: VRBR
Name: UNT Music LibraryCode: UNTML
- Rights Access: public
- Musical Score/Notation
- UNT Catalog No.: b1293894
- OCLC: 2785286
- Call Number: ML50.5 .D39
- Archival Resource Key: ark:/67531/metadc2