Uranium-Mining Practices and Costs at Ten Salt Wash Lease Operations of Union Carbide Nuclear Co. Page: 13
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
and Surprise No. 1 claims. (See fig. 3.) The lessee whose operation is de-
scribed here mined in ground bounded by the first seven claims. The area cov-
ered by the claims is relatively flat, ranging from 5,400 to 5,700 feet in al-
titude. Hieroglyphic Canyon, which bounds Club Mesa on the southeast, is
immediately east of the mines, and the newly constructed Club Mesa-Long Park
road ascends this canyon from Uravan.
The first claims on Club Mesa were located on the rim overlooking San
Miguel River by Ike Hallet of Norwood, Colo., in 1899;6/ however, before 1910
only intermittent attempts were made to mine carnotite ores in the general
area, which was formerly referred to as the Paradox district. This loosely
defined district included mines on Club Mesa, Long Park, Saucer Basin, Dolores
Bench, Atkinson Creek, Tabeguache Creek, and both rims of East Paradon Valley.
General Vanadium Company of America, Baltimore, Md., a subsidiary of Inter-
national Vanadium Co., Liverpool, England, was formed in 1909 and late in that
year became the first organized company to acquire claims in the area. The
second company to acquire ground was Standard Chemical Co., Pittsburgh, Pa.,
formed in 1910.17/ In November 1910 J. R. S. Smith located the Yellow Jacket
claim and 0. J. Adams the adjoining Beta claim. J. S. King located the
Rambler claim in June 1911. Standard Chemical Co. located the Beta Wonder and
R. A. M. claims and amended the location of the Yellow Jacket claim in the
latter half of 1911, then located the Joe Junior and J. M. claims 2 years
later. In 1912 Standard Chemical Co. owned 90 claims in the Paradox district,
and in 1913 it owned 140. In April 1913 Standard Chemical Co. made its first
shipment of high-grade ore, which is believed to have come from the Thunderbolt
mine on the southwest wall of Paradox Valley. By the end of 1913 Standard
Chemical was the largest producer of the radium ores in the United States. The
first shipment of radium ore went to its allied company, Radium Chemical Co.,
in Pittsburgh.8/ It was reported that the company later sent ores and concen-
trates to its reduction mill at Canonsburg, Pa. The radium salts were then
concentrated at the company radium research laboratory in Pittsburgh.9/
Because there were no roads to Club Mesa in 1913, the ore that had been
sorted and sacked at Standard's Club camp was packed on burros to the company
orehouse in Long Park, Colo. The contract price to pack the ore was $8 to $10
per ton. In Long Park the ore was transferred to wagons for the 58-mile haul
to the Denver and Rio Grande Southern Railroad (narrow-gage) station at
Placerville, Colo. The six-horse teams, pulling two ore wagons in tandem,
could haul 5 to 5-1/2 tons of ore and make the round trip in 1 week. This
part of the trip to Pennsylvania cost $20 a ton.
6/ Coffin, R. C., Radium, Uranium, and Vanadium Deposits of Southwestern
Colorado: Colorado Geol. Survey Bull. 16, 1921, p. 152.
7/ Moore, R. B., and Kithil, K. L., A Preliminary Report on Uranium, Radium,
and Vanadium: Bureau of Mines Bull. 70, 1916, pp. 19-25.
8/ Work cited in footnote 6, p. 110. Note. - P. 110 is the page in the
Coffin bulletin cited.
9/ Flannery, J. M., Radium Plant of Standard Chemical Company: Colorado
Bureau of Mines, 13th Biennial Rept., 1913-14, p. 114.
531185 0 -59 -3
Here’s what’s next.
This report can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Report.
Dare, W. L. Uranium-Mining Practices and Costs at Ten Salt Wash Lease Operations of Union Carbide Nuclear Co., report, 1959; Washington D.C.. (digital.library.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metadc170712/m1/19/: accessed September 24, 2018), University of North Texas Libraries, Digital Library, digital.library.unt.edu; crediting UNT Libraries Government Documents Department.