Pop Chronicles Interviews #121 - Jackie Wilson
Listen Online transcript
Jump to Track:
- Influences and who he listened to; Billy Ward and the Dominos and alumni; how arrangements were done 0:01:57
- After Billy Ward; Nat Tarnopol and Al Green; record contract; "Lonely Teardrops" and "To Be Loved"; Berry Gordy; selection of songs in his earlier career 0:03:24
- Rhythm and blues with strings; reason for rhythm and blues "renaissance"; Elvis Presley and Alan Freed; current work; keeping up with trends; importance of bass line; key elements of Motown sound 0:03:16
- Historically important performers and groups; Aretha Franklin; British revival of American blues; Beatles; Rolling Stones; what he looks for in a song 0:03:54
- Wilson's album with Count Basie; closing remarks 0:01:44
We've identified this sound as a primary source within our collections. Researchers, educators, and students may find this recording useful in their work.
Pop Chronicles Interviews #121 - Jackie Wilson, audio recording, March 18, 1968; (https://digital.library.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metadc1692059/: accessed March 20, 2023), University of North Texas Libraries, UNT Digital Library, https://digital.library.unt.edu; crediting UNT Music Library.