Pop Chronicles Interviews #99 - Johnny Rivers
Jump to Track:
- Gilliland asks Rivers to explain for someone "ten years from now" where he is now (1967) and 3 years prior; Rivers' response 0:01:23
- State of music industry; honesty in popular music; album Summer Rain; Beatles and the evolution of popular music 0:03:09
- Thoughts on British Invasion; who he was listening to at the start of his career; recording of "Memphis"; how the arrangement of "Memphis" came together; work with arranger Marty Paich; judging good arrangements 0:05:55
- Lou Adler; album Changes; album Rewind; Summer Rain; creative challenges; his role as producer; recent benefit concert; question about current artists he likes 0:05:55
- Rivers responds; discussion of connection between rhythm and blues and rock 'n' roll; commercialization; songwriting and recording goals 0:04:28
- Songwriting and recording goals continued; country influences 0:02:02
We've identified this sound as a primary source within our collections. Researchers, educators, and students may find this recording useful in their work.
Pop Chronicles Interviews #99 - Johnny Rivers, audio recording, November 16, 1967; (https://digital.library.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metadc1692048/: accessed March 20, 2023), University of North Texas Libraries, UNT Digital Library, https://digital.library.unt.edu; crediting UNT Music Library.