K-shell x rays of selected elements from Nb through Gd for incident protons and alpha particles from 0.6 to 2.4 MeV Metadata
Metadata describes a digital item, providing (if known) such information as creator, publisher, contents, size, relationship to other resources, and more. Metadata may also contain "preservation" components that help us to maintain the integrity of digital files over time.
- Main Title K-shell x rays of selected elements from Nb through Gd for incident protons and alpha particles from 0.6 to 2.4 MeV
Author: Wilson, Scott R.Creator Type: PersonalCreator Info: University of North Texas
Author: McDaniel, Floyd Del. (Floyd Delbert), 1942-Creator Type: PersonalCreator Info: University of North Texas
Author: Rowe, J. R.Creator Type: PersonalCreator Info: University of North Texas
Author: Duggan, Jerome L.Creator Type: PersonalCreator Info: University of North Texas
Name: American Physical SocietyPlace of Publication: [College Park, Maryland]
- Creation: 1977-09
- Content Description: This article discusses K-shell x-rays of selected elements from Nb through Gd for incident protons and alpha particles from 0.6 to 2.4 MeV.
- Physical Description: 10 p.
- Keyword: K-shell
- Keyword: x-ray-production
- Keyword: plane-wave Born approximation
- Keyword: PWBA
- Journal: Physical Review A, 1977, College Park: American Physical Society, pp. 903-912
- Publication Title: Applied Physics Letters
- Volume: 72
- Publication Title: Physical Review A
- Volume: 16
- Issue: 3
- Page Start: 903
- Page End: 912
- Peer Reviewed: True
Name: UNT Scholarly WorksCode: UNTSW
Name: UNT College of Arts and SciencesCode: UNTCAS
- Rights Access: public
- DOI: 10.1103/PhysRevA.16.903
- Archival Resource Key: ark:/67531/metadc146602
- Academic Department: Physics
- Display Note: Copyright 1977 American Physical Society. The following article appeared in Physical Review A, 16:3, http://link.aps.org/doi/10.1103/PhysRevA.16.903
- Display Note: Abstract: K-shell x-ray production cross sections and Kβ/Kα ratios are presented for 0.6- to 2.4-MeV protons and alpha particles incident on thin targets of selected elements from Nb to Gd. The Kβ/Kα ratios are compared to the theoretical predictions of Scofield and agree within 10%. The experimental cross sections are compared to the theoretical predictions of the plane-wave Born approximation (PWBA) and the PWBA modified to include binding energy, Coulomb deflection, and relativistic effects. It is seen that the PWBA modified for binding energy and Coulomb deflection effects agrees with the experimental data for Nb to within uncertainties, but its predictions are lower than the data by larger amounts as the target Z increases. Inclusion of an ad hoc semiclassical relativistic correction to the theoretical cross section, as suggested by Hansen, improves the agreement with the data, but overestimates the data for the highest-Z elements.