Comparison of initial value and eigenvalue codes for kinetic toroidal plasma instabilities Metadata
Metadata describes a digital item, providing (if known) such information as creator, publisher, contents, size, relationship to other resources, and more. Metadata may also contain "preservation" components that help us to maintain the integrity of digital files over time.
- Main Title Comparison of initial value and eigenvalue codes for kinetic toroidal plasma instabilities
Author: Kotschenreuther, M.Creator Type: PersonalCreator Info: Univ. of Texas, Austin, TX (United States). Institute for Fusion Studies
Author: Rewoldt, G.Creator Type: Personal
Author: Tang, W. M.Creator Type: PersonalCreator Info: Princeton Univ., NJ (United States). Plasma Physics Lab.
Sponsor: United States. Department of Energy.Contributor Type: OrganizationContributor Info: USDOE, Washington, DC (United States)
Name: Princeton University. Plasma Physics Laboratory.Place of Publication: New JerseyAdditional Info: Princeton Univ., NJ (United States). Plasma Physics Lab.
- Creation: 1994-04-01
- Content Description: In plasma physics, linear instability calculations can be implemented either as initial value calculations or as eigenvalue calculations. Here, comparisons between comprehensive linear gyrokinetic calculations employing the ballooning formalism for high-n (toroidal mode number) toroidal instabilities are described. One code implements an initial value calculation on a grid using a Lorentz collision operator and the other implements an eigenvalue calculation with basis functions using a Krook collision operator. An electrostatic test case with artificial parameters for the toroidal drift mode destabilized by the combined effects of trapped particles and an ion temperature gradient has been carefully analyzed both in the collisionless limit and with varying collisionality. Good agreement is found. Results from applied studies using parameters from the Tokamak Fusion Test Reactor (TFTR) experiment are also compared.
- Physical Description: 24 p.
- STI Subject Categories: 70 Plasma Physics And Fusion Technology
- Keyword: Drift Instability
- Keyword: Computerized Simulation
- Keyword: Kinetic Equations 700340
- Keyword: Plasma Waves, Oscillations, And Instabilities
- Other Information: PBD: Apr 1994
Name: Office of Scientific & Technical Information Technical ReportsCode: OSTI
Name: UNT Libraries Government Documents DepartmentCode: UNTGD
- Other: DE94010360
- Report No.: PPPL--2986
- Grant Number: AC02-76CH03073
- DOI: 10.2172/10144064
- Office of Scientific & Technical Information Report Number: 10144064
- Archival Resource Key: ark:/67531/metadc1316942
- Display Note: INIS; OSTI as DE94010360; Paper copy available at OSTI: phone, 865-576-8401, or email, email@example.com