Measuring local discretionary authority Page: 67
This book is part of the collection entitled: Advisory Commission on Intergovernmental Relations and was provided to Digital Library by the UNT Libraries Government Documents Department.
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
22. Has the legislature used its powers of preemption, under the "devolution of powers" constitutional provision, to assume
responsibility (complete__ or partial . ) for a local government function? YES
. If YES, please
23. Has partial federal preemption in areas such as air and water pollution abatement forced the legislature to exercise its
powers of preemption? YES_ NO . If YES, please describe briefly.
24. Have the municipal or local laws of the state been recodified or revised since 1970 to identify clearly the powers that have
been preempted by the legislature? YES _ NO ___ . If YES, please indicate whether all
municipal or local laws have been recodified or revised. If only specified laws have been recodified or revised, please list
25. Does the state constitution restrict the ability of the legislature to initiate action to resolve metropolitan and other
areawide problems? YES ___ NO . If YES, please describe briefly.
26. Please rate the amount of freedom of action possessed by each type of local government in your state on a scale of 1 to 5
(with I indicating the greatest degree of freedom from state control and 5 indicating the smallest degree of freedom).
27. How often does the state legislature "mandate" expenditures by local governments? Often (more than ten times each session)
, occasionally (three-to-nine times each session) , seldom (once or twice a session) , never ? Do
mandates have a significant impact on local governments? YES_ NO .
If YES, please explain.
28. Does the constitutional grant of local powers, if any, limit the ability of the state legislature to grant local tax exemptions
by requiring an extraordinary vote , "message of necessity" from the Governor , or reimbursement of local
governments for loss of revenue ._? Please check the appropriate answer(s).
29. Please indicate the restrictiveness of state-imposed tax limits on local governments. Very restrictive ___, moderately
restrictive -., slightly restrictive , unrestrictive
30. May the state tax limit be exceeded with voter approval in a referendumrn or approval of a state agency ? YES
NO . If YES, please describe briefly and provide a legal citation if possible.
31. Please indicate the restrictiveness of state-imposed debt limits on local governments. Very restrictive , moderately
Here’s what’s next.
This book can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Book.
United States. Advisory Commission on Intergovernmental Relations. Measuring local discretionary authority, book, November 1981; Washington, D.C.. (digital.library.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metadc1259/m1/79/: accessed January 17, 2019), University of North Texas Libraries, Digital Library, digital.library.unt.edu; crediting UNT Libraries Government Documents Department.