Francis Poulenc's Sonata for Horn, Trumpet and Trombone: A Structural Analysis Identifying Historical Significance, Form and Implications for Performance Metadata
Metadata describes a digital item, providing (if known) such information as creator, publisher, contents, size, relationship to other resources, and more. Metadata may also contain "preservation" components that help us to maintain the integrity of digital files over time.
- Main Title Francis Poulenc's Sonata for Horn, Trumpet and Trombone: A Structural Analysis Identifying Historical Significance, Form and Implications for Performance
Author: Cord, John T.Creator Type: Personal
Chair: Johnson, KeithContributor Type: PersonalContributor Info: Major Professor
Committee Member: Steinel, MichaelContributor Type: PersonalContributor Info: Related Field Professor
Committee Member: Holt, JohnContributor Type: PersonalContributor Info: Minor Professor
Name: University of North TexasPlace of Publication: Denton, Texas
- Creation: 2009-08
- Content Description: Research has been conducted on Francis Poulenc and his prominent 20th century sonata for brass instruments. Poulenc and members of the French compositional collaboration known as Les Six have all been subjects of research. Francis Poulenc's Sonata for Horn Trumpet and Trombone is a crucial piece in the development of brass chamber music during the 20th century. As one of the first works written for modern brass instruments, it demonstrates a highly crafted compositional style representative of Poulenc's early period. Research includes background and historical significance of the Sonata, analysis of form and compositional techniques, biographical information on Francis Poulenc and the members of Les Six and a section on implications for the performance of the work. This study is necessary due to the lack of research available for the piece especially considering its relevance to the development of brass chamber music. This study explores the compositional style of Francis Poulenc and his contribution to the brass ensemble repertoire.
- Keyword: Poulenc
- Keyword: sonata
- Keyword: trumpet
- Library of Congress Subject Headings: Poulenc, Francis, 1899-1963. Sonatas, horn, trumpet, trombone.
- Has Part: Recording: https://digital.library.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metadc89554/
Name: UNT Theses and DissertationsCode: UNTETD
Name: UNT LibrariesCode: UNT
- Rights Access: public
- Rights License: copyright
- Rights Holder: Cord, John T.
- Rights Statement: Copyright is held by the author, unless otherwise noted. All rights reserved.
- Thesis or Dissertation
- Call Number: MT145.P67 C6 2009
- OCLC: 607526458
- UNT Catalog No.: b3827518
- Archival Resource Key: ark:/67531/metadc12104
- Degree Name: Doctor of Musical Arts
- Degree Level: Doctoral
- Degree Discipline: Performance
- Academic Department: College of Music
- Degree Grantor: University of North Texas