Selected works for solo frame drums by B. Michael Williams. Metadata
Metadata describes a digital item, providing (if known) such information as creator, publisher, contents, size, relationship to other resources, and more. Metadata may also contain "preservation" components that help us to maintain the integrity of digital files over time.
- Main Title Selected works for solo frame drums by B. Michael Williams.
Author: Nicholson, Jason EugeneCreator Type: Personal
Chair: Ford, Mark D.Contributor Type: PersonalContributor Info: Major Professor
Committee Member: Friedson, StevenContributor Type: PersonalContributor Info: Related Field Professor
Committee Member: Deane, ChristopherContributor Type: Personal
Name: University of North TexasPlace of Publication: Denton, Texas
- Creation: 2009-08
- Digitized: 2009-10-20
- Content Description: In 1993, American percussionist and composer B. Michael Williams published Four Solos for Frame Drums. This collection is considered the first work written exclusively for solo frame drum in Western notation. Williams primarily modeled his solos around traditional rhythms and techniques from Middle Eastern musical traditions as well as Glen Velez's virtuosic style of playing frame drums. He also drew influence from the music of South India and Sub-Saharan Africa. Williams intentionally combines the aforementioned elements as a means to expose his students and audience members to the music and drumming of these regions. The purpose of this paper is to provide a detailed analysis of select compositions for solo frame drum by B. Michael Williams in order to assist future performers in making well-informed interpretive decisions. The analysis will highlight the compositional style, structural components, technical demands and important performance considerations of four pieces by Williams: Quatrinity, Etude in Arabic Rhythms, Another New Riq and Rhythmic Journey no. 1: (From Conakry to Harare).
- Keyword: Michael Williams
- Keyword: solo drum works
- Keyword: solo frame drums
- Library of Congress Subject Headings: Williams, Barry Michael. Solos, frame drums. Selections.
- Library of Congress Subject Headings: Williams, Barry Michael. Another new riq.
- Library of Congress Subject Headings: Williams, Barry Michael. Rhythmic journey no. 1.
- Library of Congress Subject Headings: Frame drum music.
Name: UNT Theses and DissertationsCode: UNTETD
Name: UNT LibrariesCode: UNT
- Rights Access: public
- Rights License: copyright
- Rights Holder: Nicholson, Jason Eugene
- Rights Statement: Copyright is held by the author, unless otherwise noted. All rights reserved.
- Thesis or Dissertation
- OCLC: 502141456
- Call Number: MT145.W55 N5 2009
- UNT Catalog No.: b3813640
- Archival Resource Key: ark:/67531/metadc11019
- Degree Name: Doctor of Philosophy
- Degree Level: Doctoral
- Degree Discipline: Performance
- Academic Department: College of Music
- Degree Grantor: University of North Texas