Carrier-Envelope Phase Effect on Atomic Excitation by Few-Cycle rf Pulses Metadata
Metadata describes a digital item, providing (if known) such information as creator, publisher, contents, size, relationship to other resources, and more. Metadata may also contain "preservation" components that help us to maintain the integrity of digital files over time.
- Main Title Carrier-Envelope Phase Effect on Atomic Excitation by Few-Cycle rf Pulses
Author: Li, HebinCreator Type: PersonalCreator Info: Texas A & M University
Author: Sautenkov, Vladimir A.Creator Type: PersonalCreator Info: Texas A & M University; Lebedev Institute of Physics
Author: Rostovtsev, Yuri V.Creator Type: PersonalCreator Info: University of North Texas; Texas A & M University
Author: Kash, Michael M.Creator Type: PersonalCreator Info: Texas A & M University; Lake Forest College
Author: Anisimov, Petr M.Creator Type: PersonalCreator Info: Louisiana State University
Author: Welch, George R.Creator Type: PersonalCreator Info: Texas A & M University
Author: Scully, Marlan O. (Marlan Orvil), 1939-Creator Type: PersonalCreator Info: Texas A & M University; Princeton University
Name: American Physical SocietyPlace of Publication: [College Park, Maryland]
- Creation: 2010-03-08
- Content Description: Article on carrier-envelope phase effect on atomic excitation by few-cycle rf pulses.
- Physical Description: 4 p.
- Keyword: carrier-envelope-phase
- Keyword: radio-frequency pulses
- Keyword: pulses
- Keyword: density matrix equations
- Journal: Physical Review Letters, 2010, College Park: American Physical Society
- Publication Title: Physical Review Letters
- Volume: 104
- Issue: 10
- Pages: 4
- Peer Reviewed: True
Name: UNT Scholarly WorksCode: UNTSW
Name: UNT College of Arts and SciencesCode: UNTCAS
- Rights Access: public
- DOI: 10.1103/PhysRevLett.104.103001
- Archival Resource Key: ark:/67531/metadc103274
- Academic Department: Physics
- Display Note: Copyright 2010 American Physical Society. The following article appeared in Physical Review Letters, 104:10, http://link.aps.org/doi/10.1103/PhysRevLett.104.103001
- Display Note: Abstract: We present an experimental and theoretical study of the carrier-envelope phase effects on population transfer between two bound atomic states interacting with intense ultrashort pulses. Radio frequency pulses are used to transfer population among the ground state hyperfine levels in rubidium atoms. These pulses are only a few cycles in duration and have Rabi frequencies of the order of the carrier frequency. The phase difference between the carrier and the envelope of the pulses has a significant effect on the excitation of atomic coherence and population transfer. We provide a theoretical description of this phenomenon using density matrix equations. We discuss the implications and possible applications of our results.