A history of Verona, by A. M. Allen. Edited by Edward Armstrong, with twenty illustrations and three maps. Page: 38 of 493
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
THE SELF-GOVERNING COMMUNE 21
city took possession of it. In I I94 the Podesta, Guglielmo da
Osa of Milan, began a palace by its side,1 for the use of the
officials of the Commune. Tower and palace together form
one of the noblest groups of municipal buildings in all Italy.
They were not completed, however, as they now stand, till
much later. The beautiful outer staircase of red marble was
added in the thirteenth century, the exquisite doorway at its
head somewhat later, while the highest stories of the tower
were built between 1448 and 1464 by the Venetians.2 In 1447
a Renaissance arcading was placed over the staircase, but this
has recently been removed.
Under the Commune the area of the city was twice enlarged
by the extension of the outer walls. Some time between 1134
and 1178 a new wall was built on the east bank of the Adige,
considerably to the south of the one already existing. It
started from the river below the Ponte delle Navi, and ran due
east for some distance. It included the Church of S. Paolo di
Campo Marzo, but that of S. Toscana was still left outside the
city, for here the new wall turned north, ending at the first low
hills. It was pierced by a gate known as the Porta del Vescovo,
lying somewhat to the west of the present gate of that
name; remains of it can still be seen in the garden of the
priests' house belonging to S. Toscana. During the first fifteen
years of the thirteenth century another new wall was built to
the north of the Adige. This brought the very ancient church
of S. Stefano within the city, and is thought to have followed
much the same line that the present fortifications do from
the Porta di S. Giorgio to the western slopes of the hill of
By this time the Veronese had established their supremacy
over the country round. The district now ruled by the city
coincided roughly with the older bishopric, but differed in one
or two important points from the modem province of Verona.
Ostiglia and Gaiba, both on the Po, and Sermione on the long
1 Often misnamed the Palazzo della'Ragione. It should be called the Palace
of the Commune.
' L. Simeoni, Verona, pp. 17, I8.
Le Mura di Verona, A. Pompei, A. V., vol. xviii. p. 230.
Here’s what’s next.
This book can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Book.
Allen, A. M. A history of Verona, by A. M. Allen. Edited by Edward Armstrong, with twenty illustrations and three maps., book, 1910; New York. (digital.library.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metadc1025/m1/38/: accessed November 22, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, Digital Library, digital.library.unt.edu; .