A history of Verona, by A. M. Allen. Edited by Edward Armstrong, with twenty illustrations and three maps. Page: 17 of 493
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
2 A HISTORY OF VERONA
gusta, though not, as the title might seem to imply, under
Augustus, for the elder Pliny does not include the city in his
list of Roman colonies.
During the early Empire many fine buildings sprang up in
Verona, an amphitheatre, a theatre, a circus, a capitol, temples
and baths. The site of the capitol is thought to have been
on the hill now disfigured by the Castel di S. Pietro, and the
statue forming part of the fountain in the Piazza Erbe is said
to have been discovered there.1 The splendid arch to Jupiter
Ammon, which was still standing in the seventeenth century,
has almost disappeared, and nothing is left of the many temples
enumerated as still in existence in an eighth century metrical
description of Verona, but the theatre and amphitheatre still
exist, and a fine gateway known as the Porta dei Borsari.
According to one theory the upper part of this gate is a century
later than the rest, and dates from a decadent period,2 but even
if this is so it must be owned that the double series of alternate
windows and columns is singularly beautiful. The remnants
of another gate, the Arco dei Leoni in the street leading to the
Ponte delle Navi, is now held to be later than Roman times,
probably of the sixth century.3 The first Roman walls included
only a small part of the modern town. On the left
bank of the Adige they took in only the hill of S. Pietro, and
a small piece of level ground at its foot. On the right bank a
wall cut off the northern end of the land lying in the loop of
the river, starting from a point just West of the Church of
S. Eufemia, and reaching the river again half-way between the
Ponte Nuovo and the Ponte delle Navi. The amphitheatre
was outside this wall, but Gallienus made an extension which
included it A Roman bridge stood where the Ponte di Pietra
now stands-indeed the two Eastern arches of the present
bridge are said to be of Roman masonry-another led from
the theatre to the site now occupied by S. Anastasia, and some
1 The present head was added in the Middle Ages.
2 A. Pompei, Le Mura di Verona, A. V., vol. xviii. p. 2o9. This article contains
an excellent account of the walls, both Roman and mediaeval, of Verona.
L. Simeoni, Verona, p. 131, concludes, however, from a strict examination of the
masonry, that both sets of windows are of the same date.
3 Storia di Verona, C. Cipolla, Verona, Remigio-Cabianca, 1889, p. 34.
Here’s what’s next.
This book can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Book.
Allen, A. M. A history of Verona, by A. M. Allen. Edited by Edward Armstrong, with twenty illustrations and three maps., book, 1910; New York. (digital.library.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metadc1025/m1/17/: accessed August 18, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, Digital Library, digital.library.unt.edu; .