John Playford's "The Division Violin": Improvisation and Variation Practice in English Violin Music of the Seventeenth Century Metadata
Metadata describes a digital item, providing (if known) such information as creator, publisher, contents, size, relationship to other resources, and more. Metadata may also contain "preservation" components that help us to maintain the integrity of digital files over time.
- Main Title John Playford's "The Division Violin": Improvisation and Variation Practice in English Violin Music of the Seventeenth Century
Author: Chan, Tzu-YingCreator Type: Personal
Chair: Bushkova, JuliaContributor Type: Personal
Committee Member: Leenhouts, PaulContributor Type: Personal
Committee Member: Dubois, SusanContributor Type: Personal
Name: University of North TexasPlace of Publication: Denton, Texas
- Creation: 2017-08
- Content Description: English publisher John Playford (1623-1686/1687) first published his "The Division Violin: Containing a Collection of Divisions Upon Several Grounds for the Treble-Violin" in 1684. The first edition of this violin collection contains 26 written-out examples of improvisation, serving as a living snapshot of the performance practice of the time. This research is based on the second edition, which Playford had expanded into 30 pieces for the violin, published in 1685. The purpose of this study is to investigate the art of improvisation in England during the late 17th century, focusing on Playford's "The Division Violin." The dissertation first surveys the development of English violin music in the 17th century. Then, the dissertation traces eight selected 16th-century Italian diminution manuals. This will help readers understand the progression of the Italian diminution and improvisation practice in the 16th century and how it relates to the English division of the 17th century. Finally, based on a thorough research of the 17th-century improvisatory style and rhetorical approach, the author of this study provides performance suggestions on "Mr. Farinell's Ground," No. 5 from "The Division Violin."
- Keyword: John Playford
- Keyword: Division
- Keyword: Improvisation
- Keyword: Variation
- Keyword: 17th-Century English Violin Music
Name: UNT Theses and DissertationsCode: UNTETD
Name: UNT LibrariesCode: UNT
- Rights Access: public
- Rights Holder: Chan, Tzu-Ying
- Rights License: copyright
- Rights Statement: Copyright is held by the author, unless otherwise noted. All rights Reserved.
- Thesis or Dissertation
- Accession or Local Control No: submission_860
- Archival Resource Key: ark:/67531/metadc1011780
- Degree Name: Doctor of Musical Arts
- Degree Level: Doctoral
- Academic Department: Division of Instrumental Studies
- College: College of Music
- Degree Discipline: Performance
- Degree Publication Type: disse
- Degree Grantor: University of North Texas
- Embargo Note: The work will be published after approval.