Flat-Rate Tax Proposals Metadata
Metadata describes a digital item, providing (if known) such information as creator, publisher, contents, size, relationship to other resources, and more. Metadata may also contain "preservation" components that help us to maintain the integrity of digital files over time.
- Main Title Flat-Rate Tax Proposals
Author: Esenwein, Gregg A.Creator Type: PersonalCreator Info: Economics Division; Congressional Research Service
Name: Library of Congress. Congressional Research Service.Place of Publication: Washington D.C.
- Creation: 1982-06-21
- Content Description: In recent months there has been a growing congressional interest in the advantages and disadvantages of revamping our current tax system for a flat-rate tax method. Supporters of the new proposal argue that such a plan would promote productivity, simplify present IRS tax forms, save the public billions of dollars that presently go to tax-preparation professionals, and enhance Federal revenue by closing numerous tax loopholes and special deductions that are now enjoyed by relatively few. Opponents believe, however, that the tax burden under a flat-rate plan might fall more heavily upon the middle class and, unless exceptions were made, would hurt educational institutions and charities. Problems with popular tax deductions, such as home mortgage interest, would have to be addressed. This packet provides background materials which discuss the practical and theoretical issues that surround a flat-rate tax, including the probable redistribution of the tax burden under various rates and income bases.
- Physical Description: 39 Pages.
- Legislative Indexing Vocabulary: Taxation
- Legislative Indexing Vocabulary: Tax reform
- Legislative Indexing Vocabulary: Flat-rate tax
- Place Name: United States
Name: Congressional Research Service ReportsCode: CRSR
Name: UNT Libraries Government Documents DepartmentCode: UNTGD
- CRS Report Number: IP0212F
- Accession or Local Control No: IP0212F_1982Jun21
- Archival Resource Key: ark:/67531/metacrs8709