Agent Orange: Veterans' Complaints Concerning Exposure to Herbicides in South Vietnam Metadata
Metadata describes a digital item, providing (if known) such information as creator, publisher, contents, size, relationship to other resources, and more. Metadata may also contain "preservation" components that help us to maintain the integrity of digital files over time.
- Main Title Agent Orange: Veterans' Complaints Concerning Exposure to Herbicides in South Vietnam
Author: Smith, Pamela W.Creator Type: PersonalCreator Info: Science Policy Research Division
Name: Library of Congress. Congressional Research Service.Place of Publication: Washington D.C.
- Creation: 1982-06-25
- Content Description: From 1962 to 1971, the United States Air Force (USAF) sprayed various herbicide mixtures (chemicals that kill plants) in South Vietnam. The purpose of the spraying was to defoliate jungle growth to deprive the Communist forces of ground cover, and to destroy enemy crops to restrict food supplies. The most extensively used of these herbicide mixtures was known as Agent Orange, a 50:50 mix of two common herbicides called 1,4,5-T and 2,4-D (2,4,5-trichlorophenoxyacetic acid and 2,4-dichlorophenoxyacetic acid). The third chemical present in the mixture in small amounts was TCDD, an inevitable by-product of the manufacture of 2,4,5-T. This chemical, called tetrachlorodibenzo-para-dioxin or simply "dioxin," is highly toxic to laboratory animals when administered in its pure form. CRS has been unable to locate any report of a human death from exposure to pure TCDD. This report discusses the human health effects that have occurred from exposure to TCDD, as well as related Congressional concerns.
- Physical Description: 20 pages.
- Legislative Indexing Vocabulary: Hazardous substances
- Legislative Indexing Vocabulary: Vietnam veterans
- Legislative Indexing Vocabulary: Agent Orange
- Legislative Indexing Vocabulary: Veterans
- Historic Place Name: South Vietnam
- Place Name: Vietnam
Name: Congressional Research Service ReportsCode: CRSR
Name: UNT Libraries Government Documents DepartmentCode: UNTGD
- Rights Access: public
- CRS Report Number: IB80040
- Accession or Local Control No: IB80040 1982-06-25
- Archival Resource Key: ark:/67531/metacrs8607