China-U.S. Trade Metadata
Metadata describes a digital item, providing (if known) such information as creator, publisher, contents, size, relationship to other resources, and more. Metadata may also contain "preservation" components that help us to maintain the integrity of digital files over time.
- Main Title China-U.S. Trade
- Series Title CRS Issue Briefs
Author: Holliday, George D.Creator Type: PersonalCreator Info: Economics Division
Author: Hardt, John P.Creator Type: PersonalCreator Info: Senior Specialist Division
Name: Library of Congress. Congressional Research Service.Place of Publication: Washington D.C.
- Creation: 1981-11-19
- Content Description: The improved political relationship between the United States and the People's Republic of China (P.R.C.), initiated by the Nixon Administration and furthered by the Carter Administration's decision to establish diplomatic relations, has spurred a rapid increase in Sino-U.S. trade. While still small relative to overall U.S. foreign trade, the volume of trade represents an abrupt shift from the no-trade policy that had been pursued since 1950. Despite the rapid expansion, outstanding issues remain as serious barriers to normalized trade. Resolution of those issues may require concession or accommodations by the Chinese leadership as well as action by both the U.S. Congress and the Executive Branch. However, the development of a new approach to foreign economic relations by the post-Mao Chinese leadership and the establishment of diplomatic relations have laid the ground work for a further expansion of commercial relations.
- Physical Description: 16 pages.
- Legislative Indexing Vocabulary: Foreign policy
- Legislative Indexing Vocabulary: International trade
- Legislative Indexing Vocabulary: Foreign economic relations - China - U.S.
- Legislative Indexing Vocabulary: Foreign economic relations - U.S. - China
- Legislative Indexing Vocabulary: Trade
- Place Name: China
Name: Congressional Research Service ReportsCode: CRSR
Name: UNT Libraries Government Documents DepartmentCode: UNTGD
- CRS Report Number: IB75085
- Accession or Local Control No: IB75085 1981-11-19
- Archival Resource Key: ark:/67531/metacrs8404