Imported Automobiles in the United States: Their Rising Market Share and the Macroeconomic Impact of a Proposed Import Restriction Metadata
Metadata describes a digital item, providing (if known) such information as creator, publisher, contents, size, relationship to other resources, and more. Metadata may also contain "preservation" components that help us to maintain the integrity of digital files over time.
- Main Title Imported Automobiles in the United States: Their Rising Market Share and the Macroeconomic Impact of a Proposed Import Restriction
Author: Nanto, Dick K.Creator Type: PersonalCreator Info: Analyst in International Trade & Finance
Author: Elwell, CraigCreator Type: PersonalCreator Info: Analyst in Econometrics
Name: Library of Congress. Congressional Research Service.Place of Publication: Washington D.C.
- Creation: 1980-09-15
- Content Description: After two generations of almost unchallenged supremacy, the U.S. auto industry has recently faced plummeting sales, rising competition from imports, and mounting requirements for capital investment and structural change. This has resulted in massive spilling of red ink in the industry's profit and loss columns, further financial pressures on the ailing Chrysler Corporation, layoffs of nearly 250,000 workers (as of August 4, 1980 in the automotive industry alone according to the United Auto Workers Union) and soaring claims for unemployment compensation and trade adjustment assistance. This study focuses on import competition in the auto industry and the economic impact of proposals to limit such competition through either import quotas or agreements with foreign governments (Japan) to restrict automotive exports to the United States.
- Physical Description: 62 Pages.
- Legislative Indexing Vocabulary: Transportation
- Legislative Indexing Vocabulary: Automobiles - Imports - U.S.
- Legislative Indexing Vocabulary: Trade
- Place Name: United States
Name: Congressional Research Service ReportsCode: CRSR
Name: UNT Libraries Government Documents DepartmentCode: UNTGD
- CRS Report Number: 80-157
- Accession or Local Control No: 80-157_1980Sep15
- Archival Resource Key: ark:/67531/metacrs8147