Armenia, Azerbaijan, and Georgia: Political Developments and Implications for U.S. Interests Metadata
Metadata describes a digital item, providing (if known) such information as creator, publisher, contents, size, relationship to other resources, and more. Metadata may also contain "preservation" components that help us to maintain the integrity of digital files over time.
- Main Title Armenia, Azerbaijan, and Georgia: Political Developments and Implications for U.S. Interests
Author: Nichol, JimCreator Type: PersonalCreator Info: Foreign Affairs, Defense, and Trade Division
Name: Library of Congress. Congressional Research Service.Place of Publication: Washington D.C.
- Creation: 2002-12-12
- Content Description: The United States recognized the independence of all the former Soviet republics by the end of 1991, including the South Caucasus states of Armenia, Azerbaijan, and Georgia. The United States has fostered these states' ties with the West in part to end the dependence of these states on Russia for trade, security, and other relations. The FREEDOM Support Act of 1992 provides authorization for assistance to the Eurasian states for humanitarian needs, democratization, and other purposes. In the aftermath of the September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks on the United States, the Administration appealed for a national security waiver of the prohibition on aid to Azerbaijan, in consideration of Azerbaijan's assistance to the international coalition to combat terrorism. Azerbaijani and Georgian troops participate in stabilization efforts in Afghanistan and Iraq, and Armenian personnel serve in Iraq.
- Physical Description: 16 pages.
- Legislative Indexing Vocabulary: Foreign aid
- Legislative Indexing Vocabulary: American economic assistance - Georgia
- Legislative Indexing Vocabulary: American economic assistance - Azerbaijan
- Legislative Indexing Vocabulary: American economic assistance - Armenia
- Place Name: Armenia
- Place Name: Azerbaijan
- Place Name: Georgia
Name: Congressional Research Service ReportsCode: CRSR
Name: UNT Libraries Government Documents DepartmentCode: UNTGD
- CRS Report Number: IB95024
- Accession or Local Control No: IB95024 2002-12-12
- Archival Resource Key: ark:/67531/metacrs2878