Water Rights Related to Oil Shale Development in the Upper Colorado River Basin Metadata
Metadata describes a digital item, providing (if known) such information as creator, publisher, contents, size, relationship to other resources, and more. Metadata may also contain "preservation" components that help us to maintain the integrity of digital files over time.
- Main Title Water Rights Related to Oil Shale Development in the Upper Colorado River Basin
Author: Brougher, CynthiaCreator Type: PersonalCreator Info: American Law Division
Name: Library of Congress. Congressional Research Service.Place of Publication: Washington D.C.
- Creation: 2008-11-18
- Content Description: Concerns over fluctuating oil prices and declining petroleum production worldwide have revived interest in oil shale as a potential resource. The Energy Policy Act of 2005 (P.L. 109-58) identified oil shale as a strategically important domestic resource and directed the Department of the Interior to promote commercial development. Oil shale development would require significant amounts of water, however, and water supply in the Colorado River Basin, where several oil shale reserves are located, is limited. This report will provide a brief overview of water rights in Colorado, Utah, and Wyoming, including changes that may be made to currently held water rights and the possibility for abandonment of unused water rights.
- Legislative Indexing Vocabulary: Energy
- Legislative Indexing Vocabulary: Oil shales
- Legislative Indexing Vocabulary: Petroleum
- Legislative Indexing Vocabulary: Fossil fuels
- Legislative Indexing Vocabulary: Water resources
- Legislative Indexing Vocabulary: Water rights
- Legislative Indexing Vocabulary: Water law and legislation
- Keyword: Colorado River
- Place Name: United States - Colorado
- Place Name: United States - Utah
- Place Name: United States - Wyoming
Name: Congressional Research Service ReportsCode: CRSR
Name: UNT Libraries Government Documents DepartmentCode: UNTGD
- CRS Report Number: RS22986
- Accession or Local Control No: RS22986_2008Nov18
- Archival Resource Key: ark:/67531/metacrs10824