UNT Libraries Special Collections
About this Partner
Special Collections is the primary resource for rare and unique cultural and historical materials at UNT Libraries. Collections cover a broad range of periods and formats from a 4,000 year old clay tablet to born digital records of today. Scholars, genealogists, historians, students, faculty, and the public are welcome to visit the Judge Sarah T. Hughes Reading Room in Willis Library to view items in our extensive collections.
Highlights of Special Collections include:
• Texas history collections containing maps, documents, photographs and rare books with an emphasis on the republic and early statehood periods.
• The Latino/Latina Archive which seeks to preserve the diverse history of Latino/a culture.
• The Lesbian, Gay, Transgender and Bisexual Archive, a resource to collect and preserve the history of the LGBT community including the complete Dallas Voice newspaper archive, the Phil Johnson/Resource Center LGBT Collection and the collections of the Dallas Way.
• The Visual Materials collection which documents the history of photography and visual representation through the works of both traditional and vernacular artists including the Byrd Williams Family Collection, the Clark Family Collection and collections documenting the horse ranching industry of Texas.
• General collections include thousands of linear feet of archival materials documenting the lives of notable Texans such as Judge Sarah T. Hughes and Ruth Scantlin Roach and well as the history of the north Texas region through collections such as the KXAS/NBC 5 Archive.
The materials in the Portal to Texas History and the UNT Digital Library represent just a small portion of our Special Collections. To search for items which have not been digitized please use the UNT library catalog for books, maps and periodicals, and the Finding Aids database for archive, manuscript and photography collections.
Special Collections staff is available to help in your research. Please contact us with any questions at email@example.com.