You limited your search to:
- Unions of Slavery: Slavery, Politics, and Secession in the Valley of Virginia
- This book chapter discusses slavery, politics, and secession in the Valley of Virginia.
- Metaphoric Analysis of a Shipyard Union Dispute: Theory and Method in the Cultural Analysis of Collective Action
- This book chapter discusses the metaphoric analysis of a shipyard union dispute and the theory and method in the cultural analysis of collective action. Rather than treating grievances and political opportunities, given, and exogenous to organized movement groups, cultural analysts of social movements have recently focused on cognitive and linguistic processes by which factors relevant to collective behavior are themselves interpreted collectively.
- Media and Communication
- This book chapter discusses media and communication. As core features of humanity, communication and media clearly predate academic disciplines. They are in this sense non-disciplinary. Yet, they have for centuries been the subject of inquiry by those concerned to understand and improve human correspondence. This chapter surveys the historical development and present form of multi-, inter-, and transdisciplinary studies of media and communication.
- Dear Facebook
Access: Use of this item is restricted to the UNT Community.
This book chapter is written in the form of a break-up letter from the author to the social networking website, Facebook. It discusses social networking, technological changes, urbanization, globalization, media technology, and philosophical ideas about society.
- Biocultural conservation in Cape Horn: the Magellanic woodpecker as a charismatic species
- This book chapter discusses a research project to promote biocultural conservation in Cape Horn, Chile. At the southernmost tip of the Americas, the Cape Horn Biosphere Reserve (CHBR) encompasses one of the world's most pristine remaining wilderness areas and is home to the indigenous Yaghan (or Yamana) community, which featured prominently in Charles Darwin's 'Voyage of the Beagle'. Its remoteness and uniqueness, however, are threatened by the introduction of exotic species such as the North American beaver and American mink, increasing development pressures from new connectivity, resource exploitation, and the development of tourism. To implement the biosphere reserve and conserve its natural and cultural richness requires the active participation of the community, as well as linkages and integration between various disciplines and institutions. In an effort to achieve the goal of transdisciplinary integration, the authors used the strategy of identifying a charismatic species, since doing so serves to motivate people towards biodiversity conservation, to communicate ecological concepts, and to integrate both the ecological and social dimensions of sustainability. This study was developed together with the population of Puerto Williams, a town with 2200 inhabitants located on Navarino Island, and the largest human settlement within the CHBR.
- How to Hook a Hottie: Teenage Boys, Hegemonic Masculinity, and Cosmo Girl! Magazine
- This book chapter discusses different media texts targeted at a different audience, magazines written for an audience of teenaged girls, which also work to naturalize male sexuality as aggressive and predatory. The authors study advice columns and articles in these magazines that depict teenaged boys as sexually forceful and emotionally stunted, and that encourage girl readers to expect and enable such behaviors.
- Prediction of Partition Coeffecients and Permeability of Drug Molecules in Biological Systems with Abraham Model Solute Descriptors Derived from Measured Solubilities and Water-to-Organic Solvent Partition Coefficients
- This book chapter discusses the prediction of partition coefficients and permeability of drug molecules in biological systems with Abraham model solute descriptors derived from measured solubilities and water-to-organic solvent partition coefficients.
- Prediction of Toxicity, Sensory Responses and Biological Responses with the Abraham Model
- This book chapter discusses the prediction of toxicity, sensory responses and biological responses with the Abraham model.
- Selection of Ionic Liquid Solvents for Chemical Separations Based on the Abraham Model
- This book chapter discusses the selection of ionic liquid solvents for chemical separations based on the Abraham model.