You limited your search to:
- Biocultural conservation in Cape Horn: the Magellanic woodpecker as a charismatic species
- This book chapter discusses a research project to promote biocultural conservation in Cape Horn, Chile. In an effort to achieve the goal of transdisciplinary integration, the authors used the strategy of identifying a charismatic species, since doing so serves to motivate people towards biodiversity conservation, to communicate ecological concepts, and to integrate both the ecological and social dimensions of sustainability. This study was developed together with the population of Puerto Williams, a town with 2200 inhabitants located on Navarino Island, and the largest human settlement within the Cape Horn Biosphere Reserve (CHBR).
- Considering the Impact of the WPA Outcomes Statement on Second Language Writers
- Book chapter on considerations on the impact of the Council of Writing Program Administrators (WPA) Outcomes Statement (OS) on second language writers. This chapter examines the extent to which the WPA OS reflects (or does not reflect) the presence and needs of second language writers.
- Dear Facebook
Access: Use of this item is restricted to the UNT Community.
This book chapter is written in the form of a break-up letter from the author to the social networking website, Facebook. It discusses social networking, technological changes, urbanization, globalization, media technology, and philosophical ideas about society.
- Frances Brooke's History of Emily Montague (1769) Epistolarity at the Transatlantic Intersection of Public and Private
- Book chapter on Frances Brooke's "History of Emily Montague" and the epistolarity at the transatlantic intersection of public and private.
- How to Hook a Hottie: Teenage Boys, Hegemonic Masculinity, and Cosmo Girl! Magazine
- This book chapter discusses different media texts targeted at a different audience, magazines written for an audience of teenaged girls, which also work to naturalize male sexuality as aggressive and predatory. The authors study advice columns and articles in these magazines that depict teenaged boys as sexually forceful and emotionally stunted, and that encourage girl readers to expect and enable such behaviors.
- Media and Communication
- This book chapter discusses media and communication. As core features of humanity, communication and media clearly predate academic disciplines. They are in this sense non-disciplinary. Yet, they have for centuries been the subject of inquiry by those concerned to understand and improve human correspondence. This chapter surveys the historical development and present form of multi-, inter-, and transdisciplinary studies of media and communication.
- Metaphoric Analysis of a Shipyard Union Dispute: Theory and Method in the Cultural Analysis of Collective Action
- This book chapter discusses the metaphoric analysis of a shipyard union dispute and the theory and method in the cultural analysis of collective action. Rather than treating grievances and political opportunities, given, and exogenous to organized movement groups, cultural analysts of social movements have recently focused on cognitive and linguistic processes by which factors relevant to collective behavior are themselves interpreted collectively.
- Neural Dynamics: Criticality, Cooperation, Avalanches and Entrainment between Complex Networks
- Book chapter discussing neural dynamics and the criticality, cooperation, avalanches and entrainment between complex networks.
- Prediction of Partition Coeffecients and Permeability of Drug Molecules in Biological Systems with Abraham Model Solute Descriptors Derived from Measured Solubilities and Water-to-Organic Solvent Partition Coefficients
- This book chapter discusses the prediction of partition coefficients and permeability of drug molecules in biological systems with Abraham model solute descriptors derived from measured solubilities and water-to-organic solvent partition coefficients.
- Prediction of Toxicity, Sensory Responses and Biological Responses with the Abraham Model
- This book chapter discusses the prediction of toxicity, sensory responses and biological responses with the Abraham model.
- Selection of Ionic Liquid Solvents for Chemical Separations Based on the Abraham Model
- This book chapter discusses the selection of ionic liquid solvents for chemical separations based on the Abraham model.
- Unions of Slavery: Slavery, Politics, and Secession in the Valley of Virginia
- This book chapter discusses research on the issues involved in the secession of Virginia around the Civil War, including slavery and politics.