Date: April 15, 2010
Creator: Daniel, Monica & Tunks, Jeanne
Description: This presentation discusses research on reading. One of the biggest problems in today's classrooms is the ineffective use of transition times. Transition times are mostly spent re-directing children and attempting to control chaos and confusion in the classroom. This research work presents the idea of using re-entry transition times (i.e., returning from lunch, music, etc.) as silent reading. When tested in December 2009, approximately 40% of the children in the author's classroom were reading at level E, when compared to the other 60% who were reading at G or higher. For six weeks, all children were required to read for five minutes immediately upon entering the classroom from a school event, increasing their reading time up to 25 minutes a day. The results conclusively show that students who have the extra opportunities to read daily have increased their measured reading level from E to H, significantly increasing their reading fluency as measured by running records.
Contributing Partner: UNT Honors College