You limited your search to:
- A Constructive Method for Finding Critical Point of the Ginzburg-Landau Energy Functional
- In this work I present a constructive method for finding critical points of the Ginzburg-Landau energy functional using the method of Sobolev gradients. I give a description of the construction of the Sobolev gradient and obtain convergence results for continuous steepest descent with this gradient. I study the Ginzburg-Landau functional with magnetic field and the Ginzburg-Landau functional without magnetic field. I then present the numerical results I obtained by using steepest descent with the discretized Sobolev gradient.
- Localized Radial Solutions for Nonlinear p-Laplacian Equation in RN
- We establish the existence of radial solutions to the p-Laplacian equation ∆p u + f(u)=0 in RN, where f behaves like |u|q-1 u when u is large and f(u) < 0 for small positive u. We show that for each nonnegative integer n, there is a localized solution u which has exactly n zeros. Also, we look for radial solutions of a superlinear Dirichlet problem in a ball. We show that for each nonnegative integer n, there is a solution u which has exactly n zeros. Here we give an alternate proof to that which was given by Castro and Kurepa.
- Spaces of operators containing co and/or l ∞ with an application of vector measures.
- The Banach spaces L(X, Y), K(X, Y), Lw*(X*, Y), and Kw*(X*, Y) are studied to determine when they contain the classical Banach spaces co or l ∞. The complementation of the Banach space K(X, Y) in L(X, Y) is discussed as well as what impact this complementation has on the embedding of co or l∞ in K(X, Y) or L(X, Y). Results concerning the complementation of the Banach space Kw*(X*, Y) in Lw*(X*, Y) are also explored and how that complementation affects the embedding of co or l ∞ in Kw*(X*, Y) or Lw*(X*, Y). The l p spaces for 1 ≤ p < ∞ are studied to determine when the space of compact operators from one l p space to another contains co. The paper contains a new result which classifies these spaces of operators. Results of Kalton, Feder, and Emmanuele concerning the complementation of K(X, Y) in L(X, Y) are generalized. A new result using vector measures is given to provide more efficient proofs of theorems by Kalton, Feder, Emmanuele, Emmanuele and John, and Bator and Lewis as well as a new proof of the fact that l ∞ is prime.
- Uniqueness Results for the Infinite Unitary, Orthogonal and Associated Groups
- Let H be a separable infinite dimensional complex Hilbert space, let U(H) be the Polish topological group of unitary operators on H, let G be a Polish topological group and φ:G→U(H) an algebraic isomorphism. Then φ is a topological isomorphism. The same theorem holds for the projective unitary group, for the group of *-automorphisms of L(H) and for the complex isometry group. If H is a separable real Hilbert space with dim(H)≥3, the theorem is also true for the orthogonal group O(H), for the projective orthogonal group and for the real isometry group. The theorem fails for U(H) if H is finite dimensional complex Hilbert space.