Date: July 1, 1947
Creator: Walter, Hellmuth
Description: In the search for an energy source independent of air for the propulsion of underwater craft, attention was early concentrated on T-substance. It was possible to convince the OKM [NACA comment: Navy High Command] very quickly of the importance of this material. In 1934, the first experiments were undertaken. A difficulty was at once presented by the limited concentration that had been attained. At first only 60 percent T-substance could be supplied; this amount was later increased to as much as 85 percent. Decomposition and combustion experiments conducted on the grounds of the CPVA in Kiel-Dietrichsdorf led to the first practical information as to the technical feasibility of the use of T-substance. New perspectives soon developed because a method of concentrated energy production had been found here, which was capable of many applications. The idea of using this energy for the propulsion of missiles either in guns or as rockets suggested itself and appropriate proposals, which quickly led to the construction of the first experimental devices, were made to the official quarters concerned. In January 1937, the first flight of a DVL aircraft with T-substance auxiliary propulsion took place at Alimbsmuhle in the presence of Colonel Udet, who piloted the ...
Contributing Partner: UNT Libraries Government Documents Department