Publisher Name: Longman, Brown, Green and Longman
Publisher Info: The Longman company was founded in 1724 by Thomas Longman (1699-1755), son of Ezekiel Longman (d. 1708) of Bristol. Thomas apprenticed to John Osborn, a London bookseller, in 1716, and eventually married Osborn's daughter. In 1724, he purchased the stock of publisher William Taylor. In 1754, Thomas brought in his nephew Thomas Longman (1730-1797) unto the firm, and this 2nd Thomas became owner of the firm on the death of his uncle in 1755. Others were made partners, and heirs of Thomas II joined the firm, resulting in a long and complex chain of versions of the firm's name, including: T. and T. Longman; Longman, Hurst & Green; Longman, Rees, Orme, Brown & Green; Messrs. Longman and Co.; Longman, Hurst, Rees, Orme, Brown & Green; Longman, Brown, Green, Longmans, & Roberts; Longmans, Green, Reader and Dyer, etc. The firm continued to thrive and expand throughout the 1800's and into the 1900's. In 1940, the Paternoster Row offices were destroyed in The Blitz, but the company survived. In 1968, the company was acquired by Pearson. In 1972, Mark Longman, last member of the family to run the company died. As of 2007, the firm continues as an imprint of Pearson Education under the name Pearson Longman.
Place of Publication: London
An elegant gift volume from the early Victorian era consisting of a selection of parables from the New Testament. The text is done in a calligraphic style, with ornate illuminated borders. Within many of the borders are small illustrations of the text. The text and illuminations were recreated from the originals by chromolithographs. The binding is a "papier-mâché" binding, consisting of front and back covers of deeply-molded black paper-mâché and a leather spine.
, 31, ii p. : ill. ; 16.5 cm. high.
UNT Libraries Rare Book and Texana Collections
License: Public Domain